Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Spectacle with My Spectacles


When I was 14 I had $125 to my name. It was a lot of money at the time (it is a lot of money now). I did not go to the corner store and spend it on 125 cokes. I did not go to Contempo Casual and buy 8 baby tees. I did not buy one huge mum for my Homecoming date. I did not give the money to Amy to give to Mike (who had a fake ID) to buy 20 cases of beer. I did have my mom drop me off at the mall and walked myself right into Lenscrafters. I bought the best tortoise shell oval frames I could find for my money. And when I put that fine pair of specs on I knew it was the first time I could really see. People were looking at me and I knew what they were thinking, "What a smart young gal." Parents would look at my mother and think, "My kid beat up your honor student." Teachers would give me the benefit of the doubt and scooch my grade up just a hint. I was smart folks and I looked it.
I loved pushing my glasses back to act as a headband. So casual. So cool. So smart! Lost your contact??? Just let me slide on down my glasses and I'll find it! I can see. I have glasses.
My best friend Stacey and I were dropped off at the Galleria one Saturday after a Bar Mitzvah. We were browsing the GAP when a nice, older lady came up to me and said, "Uh oh honey. Looks like ya lost a lens there." I smiled and feigned shock. "Oh shoot it must have just fallen out. Thanks. Where did that sucker go?" I put my fingers to my lenses. I touched my right eye. Damn. No protection. I took my glasses off and looked for the missing lens. I retraced my steps throughout the store and turned up nothing. I felt lost. I felt blind.
Now, you might be thinking, "Poor Megan. She probably would have been able to find the lens if she had her lenses to see! The irony. The despair." And you would be right. And you would be wrong. I folded my hollow glasses up and put them into their case. It was goodbye and I knew it. Who knows when that lens popped out? I sure didn't. I was way too lazy to go buy more lenses. I was way too poor to buy another pair of glasses. And I was way lucky I had 20/20 vision.


1 comment:

Mary Kathryn said...

I want you to know I am less worried about you because I just read this blog, which is the funniest thing I have ever read!!! I had to call my mom and read it to her and we both laughed so hard that we cried!!! She suggested and I agree that you mush summit this to Seventeen Mag!!! I love my Meggo!!! You really crack me up!!!